Thursday 10 May 2012

What France does to you

Bonjour!

Again, another overdue blog with lots to update on. I have approximately 6 weeks left of my placement, and to think that when I first arrived June felt like light years away. What a whirlwind the past 8 months have been, and my level of French is not the only thing which has changed. I myself have definitely changed since being here. There are things which I would never even consider in England, and never thought I'd do generally, yet since mon arrivée en France, I seem to have adopted their 'no care in the world' attitudue... Here's why: 

Lily, not Ruth. Self explanatory. 

McDonalds. Most of you know, that as a veggie ( and I'd like to consider myself a reasonably 'healthy' eater too) this fast food chain was never an option for me. Sure, after a big night out I might be tempted by medium fries at 2am, but otherwise in England I hardly EVER ate at McDonalds. Since being in France however, I've probably eaten more McDonalds these past 8 months than I have in the past 8 years!! While I was training I didn't feel too gulity, but now I have no excuse. It just doesn't have that same 'greasy' feeling afterwards which makes you want to cut open your stomach and flush it out like you get in England, (Just me?) and, obvisouly, it tastes so goooood. I blame the boyfriend too, it's always his way out of cooking. They need to bring back chocoglacés though, McFlurry's just don't cut it anymore!

Rides. The thought of Alton Towers or Drayton Manor with friends was always a no-go. I could never sit on a ride with loop the loops and vertical drops for fear of, well, just fear! I have always been a wimp when it comes to things like this. I couldn't even hack the tyre swing at my local park! But, again, having conquered some fears at Disney Land, my bravery developed further when I went to Parc Astérix this weekend.  Based on the stories of Asterix, this park walks over Disney anyday! I was hesitant to buy my ticket because I'm such a crybaby, but I am so thankful that I went becasue it was just amazing! There are less people than at Dinsey which means less queueing and less stress just walking around in general. Better variety of rides, big, small, wet, fast, slow... less 'cheese' and glitter, fewer children running everywhere, better ambiance in general. So, be proud of me. I did ALL the big attractions, including a 8 looper and the brand new inverted rolelrcaoster called Ozliris- 4 weeks new situated in the 'Egypt' part of the park. I adlit that the first time I saw it I completelt froze and didn't go on, but I was reassured by all my friends that I would love it and it was the best ride, so in the afternoon I plucked up the courage to go on it and it was AMAZING!! I cried 'let's do it again!!' as soon as we had finished ahah. So there we go, fear of heights and loops and speed = conquered! Yeah buddy : 

http://youtu.be/Gxi9uwNTDrc

Getting into cars with strangers. Don't worry, it's not as dangerous as it sounds! It's not something I do on a regular occasion, but I have done it two or three times more than what I would in England.Following my bank advisor taking me to the supermarket way back in September, and my hitch-hiking incident, I guess I just have more trust for French people... On Sunday, I had a bit of an adventure when going to meet the family with whom I'll be au-pairing this summer. It was a 30 minute train ride from Versailles, then about 7km by foot to their country house. Since my project has been done (onto that later) and there was nothing else to do on Sunday, I thought I'd just leisurely walk the 7km or au pire get a taxi, how hard could it be? Well, turns out not very! I arrive at Beynes and start walking with my google maps directions in my hands. Its a niceish afternoon, am in the countryside, all is fine. I don't find the first street I need though, and a young driver pulls up seeing the confused expression on my face. He asks me if I'm ok and I explain that I'm looking for a certain road, he sees that my directions are in English and pulls a face, basically he doesn't know. I tell him not to worry, I'm going to walk back to the station to call a taxi. He smiles and drives off. I'm walking back up the road, and he pulls up again beside me. He tells me where I have to go to find the way but advises me that it's fairly far. I just tell him that it's ok, I'm in no hurry so going to call a taxi, thanks for his help. He wishes me luck and drives off into the fields. Having ordered my taxi (from the most enthusiastic driver I've ever heard on the phone!) I'm sat under a tree reading my book and low and behold guess who rocks up and parks infront of me...?! I don't know how I get myself into these situation.Long story short, he offers me a lift to where I need to be and I accept. I didn't feel threatened because I was in the countryside, I would have felt more unsafe in the city I feel. He was a friendly chap, and I made sure I slipped early into the conversation that I have a boyfriend! We actually had a bit in common which kept the convo rolling, and he kindly took me to where I needed to be. Drove off without even asking for my name or number! Winner. 

Eating meat. Mum, turn away. Friends, please don't judge. Remember, what happens in France, stays in France!! I know I had that lasagne incident before christmas, but that wasn't my fault! I arived at the familiy's house on Sunday, quite a bit earlier than expected and they were just about to have Sunday lunch. The mother was very friendly and she invited me to join them for lunch which obviously I couldn't refuse! The grandparents were there too, and the 4 kids! One of which is a newborn of two weeks old, so cute and lots of black fluffy hair!! They made me feel very welcome and the family were très sympa. But yes, I ate chicken. The smallest morceau, mind! It was a lunch of beef or chicken and veg, and I couldn't refuse two out of the three! She said that they are hiring me not only to look after the children but to, and I quote, 'be a part of their family'. And to be honest, that's why I wanted to au-pair too, to gain an experience into true French family life. So if this means not causing problems and eating meat, then so be it. It's just for the summer! I am going to stay vegetarian in all other possible circumstances, (my boyfriend tried to sneak lardons into our carbonara the other day- he thinks he's so sneaky) but if they prepare meat for dinner I'll just eat it.... The afternoon was lovely, the children were fun and I almost died on the trampoline playing with them. But I am very excited to spend the summer down south with them. 

Drinking coffee and red wine. Again, both served at dinner on Sunday afternoon. But equally, I am learning just to let go and adapt to French culture. I do usually stick to tea and herbal teas when I can, but I'm getting better at 'prendre-ing un café' in necessary situations. Just add a splash of milk and some sugar and knock it back! As for the wine, well. Wine is wine!

Skiving. Ok, not really. But I am beginning to take the mic a bit with work. Arriving at 9.10 instead of 9. Taking a bit longer at lunch than I 'should'. But its just, it's getting to the end of semester and the library is quiet, so it's not like I have to rush back to attend to the line of students wanting to take out books.I'm really not needed here anymore tbh! I took a day off on Friday just so I could go to Reims! It was just a flying visit but Aurélien and I had lunch, visited a champagne 'cave' (Tattinger), visited the Fossier biscuit factory, and walked around the cathedral. It was a lovely day, but I should have been at work as I took a day which I didn't technically have left to take... 

Staying in bed. I was always up and about at uni, the thought of staying in bed was just unthinkable! There was always something I had to do.  Whereas now I just use the 'I'm working full time' card each time I hit snooze! Like I said, the marathon is finished, the bane of my Year Abroad has now been completed and submitted ( yaayyy!) and I have no guilt hanger over me now (other than the fact that I feel lazy), so chilling in bed and lolling about on the sofa when I want to is becoming rather a bad habit! :S. Still running though, don't worry I'm not some fat McDonalds burger on legs. Yet.

WHO AM I?!!! What has France done to me?! Don't worry, I still love musicals, Cadbury's and putting gliter on me eyes, RUTH is still alive! I hope you haven't judged me, but just see it as I do, part of the experience and just ' a phase'... haha. 

Finally, one more to add to the things only in France: 

Chocolate and cheese. I kid you not.
(Tastes like chocolate crème fraiche...Yes, I have tried it. Standard).

No comments:

Post a Comment