Wednesday 30 May 2012

Diggin' the Dancing Queen :)

Bonjour! 

Exciting things to blog about this week! It's only a shame that I am having to write it all stuck at work when it's gloriously hot outside, and I'd rather be sunbathing than being told by students that I have to hurry up issuing their books because they have an exam to be at in 5 minutes.

When I started my year in 'Paris', I said to myself that by the end of the year I would be all fancy and cultured having seen plays, operas and ballets around Paris, and I'd know all the 'cool' places to go and know exactly how to get there without even looking at a métro map. Well, with only  4 weeks to go ( how crazy is that?!), I can officially say that I have achieved none of these things in 9 months. I have a rough idea of métro lines, and know a few nice places to eat/drink, but since I am so far from the centre of Paris I just have no idea what goes on! But recently I have seen a French rap band and the French stage version of the musical Mamma Mia at least! 

I got tickets to see the french rap group Sexion D'Assaut for my birthday, and the concert was last week. I have to say, I've seen big names like Drake and Kanye West, but this show actually outdid any rap concert I have seen. The group of 8 rappers performed non stop for over 2 and a half hours (they weren't even late coming on!), with live musicians and DJs, coreography, onstage fire, enthusiasm, energy and just utter 'coolness'. Ha, I just really enjoyed the gig and they performed all of their classics and really engaged with the audience. It got me hyped for Jay-Z and Kanye West gig this friday, I imagine that will probably overtake all concerts, mind! 

Following on from this, Saturday night was a trip to the theatre to see Mamma Mia with Gemma. Again, a lot of fun and entertainment; it was interesting seeing it in French too and hearing the song translations! The worst part being missing the first 45 mins ( long story- stupid Paris ) but the best part, being seated on the second row from the front of the stage! We could practically smell the actors ( quote by Gemma ). So it was worth it in the end, and typical musical style everyone was on their feet at the end singing along to 'Waterloo'. Classic. 

We stayed overnight in Paris at a friend's appartmment as he had a little gathering. It was a nice way to end the evening and not have to worry about getting trains back. In the morning the girls and I wandered along the river trying to find somewhere for Brunch, and enjoying the sunshine we visited Bibliothèque François Mitterand ( something else to tick off the list at least) and then sunbathed all afternoon in Bercy Park, playing a never ending game of  'who am I'.  Apparently Kate Winslet isn't blonde. 
What was nice was just not feeling guilty for lounging around in the sun. I have no marathon training, nor research project to do, and my time in Paris is coming to an end so you know, profitez-en! 

But seriously, I'm not used to not having anything to do. Those of you who know me well enough will understand that it's killing me turning up at work and having nothing to do, finishing work and having nothing to do, waking up at weekends and having no reason to get up! I know what you're thinking, just enjoy it, chill out, relax, stop being a busy bee... You'd have better luck telling the French to give up baguettes. I guess it's only four weeks left though. Only four weeks more of  'The printer doesn't work', 'Can I borrow this book?',' Where is this book?' , 'The machine has swallowed my card'...
A lot has happened this year already though, and my summer is going to be pretty hectic so yes, perhaps I should just try this 'chill' you people talk about.

This weekend will be my last proper weekend in Paris. I have to do some holiday shopping and try and do some more things on my 'list' while I can! The following week I have some lovely visitors coming, the weekend after I will be in London, and the weekend after I leave for my holiday in Egypt! Time is flying, and I do admit that I am starting to get a little sad about it all.

But hey ho, c'est la vie. I'm still learning things, still enjoying myself and still trying to make the most of opportunities which pass me by. 

Until next time, gros bisous :)

No comments:

Post a Comment