Wednesday 7 December 2011

Christmas is coming!

And Ruth is getting fat. 

But don't bother putting a penny in my hat, they're no use in France.

This blog has come later than intended, I do apologise! I kept thinking, I'll wait until more interesting things happen, but now so much has happened that I can't remember it all! :S

So, the festivities in France have commenced! As I mentioned last time, I went to watch Audrey Tautou switch on the lights along the Champs-Elysées a few weeks ago. Well, obviously I didn't see her really, I was too short and the stage was too far away. But she was there, believe me. As magical as it all is, I have to admit that the tree lights this year are not as pretty as I was expecting. Apparently this year they have gone for a more futuristic approach, with luminous hoops around the trees instead of pretty fairy lights. But nevertheless, the Champs do look nice and Christmassy and the market is especially exciting!
I must say though, that the Christmas market at La Défense definitely beats the Champs. I was lucky enough to have the presence of a fellow student Ella Dove this weekend and during our day together we went to the chirstmas market with another fellow student in paris, Charlotte, and despite the bitter wind and rain we were impressed by the 'village-like' market and even treated ourselves to some hot wine and ginger bread men cuddly toys  ( named Petit Biscuit, apparently!). We did wander along the Champs Elysées too (because I needed to buy a Nespresso machine, which in itself was an experience- but thats another story! ) and may have found a way into the Louis Vuitton boutique (!) and finished off having a nice dinner together before I had to rush to get the last train back to the gohst town where I live. ( which actually looks very pretty at night with fairy lights).

The major thing which has taken over my weeks recently is Glee. Not just watching the show, but rehearsing for the concert- which is tonight! It's not the most organised event which is why we have had to have so many extra rehearsals and practises, but I am feeling positive and excited for it! Sara, Julie and I are slightly nervous for our preformance of 'Faith' but as they say, it will be alright on the night! I believe it is getting filmed, so watch this space!There is a dinner CUSSON tomorrow night to celebrate the concert.

Ask any Frenchie what film they would reccommend at the moment and they will without a doubt say 'Intouchables'. And now I know why! We went to see it on Sunday afternoon, and despite having been out a month already, there were still queues and the cinema ws packed out to the max with viewers! It was one of those films where everyone clapped at the end too! It's supposedly the French box office hit of the year, would definitely reccommend it if it comes out in England! Would not reccommend turning round to ask the couple behind you to stop kicking your chair only to find thats not actually what they were doing though...

I did get my advent calendar from the parents, and even a Christmas tree with lights! My flat mate kindly offered to make an angel for the top, but refused to give him a smile due to the 'economic crisis'.
Thanks, Max.


I am counting down the days until I can walk on English soil again! It isn't long now, and its gonna be wonderful seeing my friends and family! Slight problem though, I have lots of presents and clothes to bring over, but no suitcase. I don't know who's idea it was to not leave the suitcase here when I moved in, Mum.

Thankfully no snow has hit Paris yet and so I am confident that the Eurostar won't block me here! Its still 'beau' outside, but the temperature is starting to decrease gradually! I've got this whole 'I'm never cold, I'm English' thing going on at work, and now I am too scared to admit that sometimes it isn't that warm behind the desk incase my pride is punched!

After this hectic Glee week, I will be able to relax at the weekend in the lovely town of Bruges with m'Julie. Ice skating, markets,waffles, choclate, chips, heart disease... Bring it on.

To finish off this blog, I would like to give a belated birthday wish and declare my never ending love for Will Mcstay and his wonderfully written blogs.  Happy Birthday,

A plus! Joyeux Noël from the Soton-Paris students! (Enjoying 1€ cholotae marshmallows!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment