Wednesday 23 November 2011

Its Twilight Time!

Apart from musicals, I don't usually get hyped up for book/film series which appear to be aimed at children. However, this all changed when I was pursuaded to have a marathon movie session of the Twilight films last Friday night, so that I could go with my flat mates to see the brand new 4th film on Saturday. The moment I finished watching the first film, I was hooked!! Couldn't wait to watch the next and the next, and the next! Sara, Julie and I went to the cinema (after sucessfully reserving our tickets online I'll have you know! Yes, France is up to date with some things at least!) on Saturday to watch the latest film, and it was brilliant! Although now there is a bit of tension between Julie and I over which Twilight guy we prefer. Come on, a warm, protective, (very hunky) warewolf as a boyfriend? Or a blood sucking, cold hearted vampire who makes you go through hell giving birth? Perhaps this will sway you :<3
Ok, so thats out of my system now! Had a great weekend as well as that. I am taking part in a research project at my university in Southampton, where they track our progress of our language acquistion during the year abroad. This involves a series of little tests before, durning, and after this year, and last Saturday was the first of the tests I had to take part in since arriving here. A lecturere from Southampton came to visit Sylvia and I and we showed him around HEC and then he did his little tasks with us! After lunch together in Versailles, I was Twilight bound!I also gave another English lesson in the morning which was again another challenge! What's the difference between 'It is' and 'This is'? 'A' or 'The? Why can't you say 'The garden's roses'? 

I am pleased at how the weather has been actually. The fog comes to vist every now and again, but most of the weekend and the start of this week I have been wandering about without a coat or jacket, wearing sunglasses!  Unfortunately though, smoggy is back today. They call it 'Purée des poids' apparently! (Literally, mushy peas). But at least the sunshine brightened up the weekend. There was a little market in the local village (on a Sunday, would you believe!) so after a long run  I wanderd down and looked at all the various meats, chocolates, cheeses,wines etc. Spoke a bit of French, bought some Christmas presents. I bought this kinda chocolate/caramel spread thing which the lady assured me is better than nutella, but I am yet to taste it for myself to give my own judgement!

As I mentioned in my last blog, I went to a Big Student Mass service at Notre Dame last Tuesday. It was just spectacular being a part of it all! There was a little garden party afterwards where they served hot wine and brioche while a band played under the fairy lights and bubbles! (randomly!) I really love Notre Dame and the area St Michel which surrounds it. 

I am particulary excited for tonight. The famous Audrey Tautou (Amélie actress- shame on those of you who don't know!) is switching on the Christmas lights along the Champs-Elysées!!! It's officially Christmas! There will be lights, markets, great atmosphere, I really can't wait for this experience! I do hope I get to see Audrey Tautou as well! 

This week is turning out to be very busy! One of our colleagues who works at the desk is away this week, so having to share work between the other two of us. Yesterday I came in to work to find my colleague sat with her shoes off, tissues everywhere, squirting nasal spray up her nose, drinking some questionable cloudy grey liquid medicament and asking me where I can get more of those Lemsip things I gave to her... You think I am joking; It was literally like this: 


I have to work 3 night shifts and 2 early morning shifts this week. But I am actually getting a lot done and being productive! Someone joked to me that since I work in the library, if ever I get bored why don't I just read? Well, what a genius! I have taken this into account and if ever I find myself 'bored' I read French magazines or newspapers, or even work on my university project!!So now I have no excuse. Although I did have a moment in which I spent 100€ online shopping yesterday... :S I just don't have time to go shopping during the week! And Christmas dresses are important, right?! Infact, I am even 'profite'-ing by writing this blog while the library is dead!

Glee club is  still fun and rehearsals are good. We are preparing the Christmas concert and I am also singing a trio with Sara and Julie! We have arranged a version of 'Faith' by George Michael. 

Remember all my problems regarding kettles and fuses? Well, I was very frustrated to find out that our neigbor upstairs has created, literally, a whole kitchen -in his room! He has a fridge with a wooden board across the top which he has balanced with something else to make a work surface, has a microwave, kettle,cafétière, hot plate, mini oven... How he hasn't blown the fuses I don't understand. Its not fair! But he is a very lovely guy who has said his room is always open for cooking ( as long as we give him some of it!), and equally I said that with my love for washing up (yes, weird, I know) how about we have a compromise where he cooks for me and I do all the dishes! I could start baking again! 

I have just spontaneously decided to spend a weekend in Disney Land with the wonderful Ella Dove in December which will also be very exciting and magical!

My colleage has just arrived with red puffy eyes and ten jumpers wrapped around her. Time to giver her some attention.

Ciao for now :)

No comments:

Post a Comment