Saturday 10 September 2011

Le monde est petit...

Well, I have survived my first week here, and also my first week at work! I was totally ready for the weekend though, I think every Friday is going to be a 'tgif' moment!! 


Work all this week has been good. The staff are all very friendly and welcoming and its pretty easy being a librarian! One of the workers is your typical French hypochondriac though its quite funny, she's constantly 'ill' and taking pills and water and having 5 minutes break because of her 'headaches'. I sound mean but everyone takes her with a pinch of salt! She reminds me of the character out of Amélie. She's wonderful all the same though :) At the moment work can be pretty dull though .... But working 9-5 or sometimes till half seven can be a bit tiring; and I hate being tied down to canteen hours, i miss being able to just cook and eat when I want to! the food isnt bad though, sooo so cheap too! The staff canteen is rather nice too but you can only eat there at lunchtime. Sometimes all I can have is salad and veg though because of the lack of veggie options! But luckily my uni friend who is also here doing a work placement managed to bring me more more stuff over (she lives in Derby so mum gave her some more things for my room, as she drove here) like a duvet, pillows, mini fridge etc, so my room is much more cosy now! I am feeling more settled thankfully. 

There are now 9 of us 'stagiaires' in the corridor, all British!! One of the reasons I didnt want to do ERASMUS ata French  uni was because I thought I would only mix with English people, and now look what's happened! The crazist thing, the boy who is next fdoor to me (not the shower side thankfully!) is my year at southampton doing french and yet we have never met!! Its so crazy, such a small world. So there are 3 of us from southampton in the same corridor haha!! So yeah, meeintg lots of new people. We (the peopel on my corridor and I) try to get to the studenty things when we can, but working hours limit us a bit! We also tried a student party on campus on Thursday night but it was awful, all these masters students off their faces drunk by midnight! It really felt like an awful Freshers house party or something! And then they started playing 50Cent P.I.M.P- it was so hilarious!!So we left and just chatted in our rooms for a bit before bed.I really want to make French friends though, you know to be able to practise more. I am exposed to french a lot at work at least but its a shame I am not living with frenchies for more practise!

Its defs getting better here, I am learning to appreciate it a bit more. I went shopping with Sylvia and her parents, to make use of having a car, and have stocked up on more thigns for my room and stuff, so everything is good now! I have just entered the paris half marathon which is in March too! I went on a long run the other day and got totally lost that I had to hitch hike back to campus!!! Was so funny...The first car which stopped was a lovely man from Quebec, and not scary at all, we had a nice chat and he even dropped me back off to Campus. One 
of the girls on my corridor is into running so we have agreed to be running partners as she needs to train for the full marathon which she has entered in April. There are three graduate girls altogether, they have very good French and are working here, but the rest of us are just on our year abroad. 



I had dinner out last nighh with Sylvia and her family,which was lovely. We are all going to venture into Paris tonight for some drinks and dancing! Should be fun, my fisrt adventure to Paris! Am quite looking forward to it :)  

Just to say that my English phone still works, and you can all text me without it costing you! So please give me some love now and again haha> I have a French phone and SIM but its not working for some reason, so will need to get that sorted! Have my bank card now too, but still awaiting a pin! 



Its a glorious day today, what a lovely first weekend. 


Bisous xxxxx

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love the name of your blog Ruth! It sounds like such an adventure :) Ginny xx

    ReplyDelete