Friday 17 August 2012

Au-Pairing Adventures!

Ok, I couldn't not write a blog about how my summer work , because there is just too much to tell and I have had some amazing experiences! So this will be the penultimate blog (sob).

Week one 


My first week with the family was quite a challenge. Mum, 4 kids plus a friend and I had a 5 hour drive from Versailles down to Brives-la-Gaillard where we spent the first week in the family chateau. I'm not kidding, it's in the middle of the countryside surrounded by cows and fields, with vegetable patches, a swimming pool,  tennis court, you name it. The house is very grande. Imagine banquet rooms, or like something you walk around when visiting old heritage houses. Complete with cobwebs and lumpy mattresses too! The Mum's parents were there, along with some other daughters and friends who came and went during the week. Mealtimes were always a home made and fresh and a big thing, time spend together, which is actually quite French anyway. Endless supplies of bread and cheese!! But equally, fresh vegetables and salad every day too. Unfortunately I didn't get to see much of Brives as I had a lot of responsibility over the baby. Others would pop out for the afternoon or whatever but I had to stay in a lot. One evening, I got to drive (!) to the nearby lake and had a pleasant jog around, but that was the only time I got out! Weather was up and down, sunny but not really hot enough to swim, and a few showers of rain too.

Looking after the baby wasn't actually that hard. It's the same routine each day and he is the most well behaved baby I know. He rarely cries and he sleeps all through the night. Only problem is that he pukes all the time, so my left shoulder was constantly white and sticky with regurgitated milk! The 5 year old is a but more challenging though, he doesn't want to listen to me. And the 9 year old had a friend so naturally they want to just run around having fun! The 13 yr old is nice, at least. The grandparents are quite old, and the Grandma has dementia which means every 5 minutes she asks me ' Has he had his bottle yet?'... 'Are you not cold?' which can get a bit annoying. There are only so many polite smiles and nods you can give in a day.

But honestly, what a great way to start au-pairing, I was very spoilt. It was nice seeing the countryside instead of busy Parisian suburbs.

Week two 
After a 7 hour drive up to Brittany ( it was tough ), we arrived in Baden where we stayed at the Dad's parent's holiday house. Again, just wonderful.  Big, but more modern and comfortable, with lots of rooms, a big garden which backs onto a golf course, lush pool and the best Grandma you know. A little 2 year old cousin was staying there too, so even more children to look after! She was adorable though. I had a nice room with a double bed which didn't dip in the middle!! The weather was glorious which meant lots of afternoon's in the pool and sunbathing. Hardly relaxing though when you have two 9 year old boys chasing you around the pool with water guns! I got my revenge though, always fun to push boys in the pool! The house has much more to offer for the children than back at the castle so they can keep themselves occupied a lot of the time. The Grandma is much more 'with it' and active, she's quite young actually. Always on the go, cooking, helping with the children, running errands. I have was very welcomed, and she even 'vous' me!

It was easier to get out running in Baden as the house is by the sea gulf and golf course. It's wonderful being able to get out and see boats and horses and  local fisherman bringing in their catch. The weather for our first week was gloriously hot and sunny- some days it was even too hot to eat outside!

Then for the first weekend in Brittany we went to stay with the Dad's Grandma in St Malo. Oh My Gosh, I thought the castle was impressive... this was just a whole other level! Situated on the coast of St Malo, a huge white mansion with freshly trimmed flowers surrounding it.Huge lawn, and lots of secret little paths which led down to a purpose built little house just above the sea with changing rooms and a shower. You walk out of that, and you are literally in the sea. It was beautiful, on the Sunday morning I went for a run and then straight into the sea for a refreshing dip. The Great Grandma (80 something) swims in the sea EVERY DAY between 1st may and 30th November. She says that's what keeps her alive!

As for the interior; Imagine walking onto the Titanic ship. Grande rooms with china all over the walls, silverware, glassware, old fashioned chairs ( again, like something you see in museums), guns on the wall, old sailor outfits... We stayed downstairs ( the bottom deck, if you like ) where my room opened out to the pool. I had the baby cot with me and agreed to have him for the weekend which wasn't a problem at all as he is such a good baby!!

You could tell this woman was very rich and old fashioned. Children had to eat before the adults. You had to dress for dinner. No hands under the table at dinner time. Even two Polish house maids who respond to a bell would wait on us! I felt so out of place.

We visited Dinard market and St Malo which was beautiful and so much better than the first time I went during my rainy weekend in Rennes! We just spent two nights there, then headed back to Carnac where we stayed an extra few weeks.

Week 3 and 4
Again, just back at the house in Brittany with more family members and more lovely and active Grandparents! We had lots of afternoons by the pool and trips to the beach. The mornings were easier with most of the children going off to Windsurfing or Surfing lessons. One day I even went to try my hand at Surfing myself! I had never done it, and to be honest it's because I have a little fear of waves. But I gave it a go. Well, I say surfing, I never actually braced myself enough to try standing up, so I guess you could say bodyboarding haha!

One evening we went to hear some story-telling as there was a festival in the village, and it was very interesting because the two ladies who performed also did it in sign language too. It was very funny and very well performed. I took the 5 year old and his 2 year old cousin to see the 'kids' story-telling the next morning, which was equally as pleasant and fun to listen to.

I was given one weekend off, during which I went back to Paris. It was great to have the break and I was able to watch the first weekend of the Olympics, I literally spent all weekend lying on the sofa watching TV haha! There was a big screen outside Hotel de Ville where I watched some swimming, but then it started to rain to ended up in a brasserie to watch the games. Same brasserie Saturday night and Sunday night in fact!
It has been interesting seeing the Olympics on French channels, as obviously all the focus is on their country and the games they are participating in- I couldn't really follow GB unless I looked online! There was some light banter with the family regarding medal comparisons between GB and France which was fun, but thankfully Team GB sailed ahead in the medals count! Although, hats off to France for such a good start of Golds!

During the last week in Brittany, the weather wasn't as nice as we had lots of showers of rain. But we made the most of it when we could. One morning we went 'fishing' ( scraping at the low tide with a spoon ) at a nearby coast, which actually turned out to be more fun than I expected. We turned over crabs and allsorts and we even got enough mussels to eat for tea that night! Never thought I would get that chance!

I feel honoured to have witness a traditional Breton parade which happens once a year in the little village. It consisted of people dressed up in traditional Breton costumes and doing their little dance to bagpipes ( which I thought were Scottish but hey ho), then a little rally through the streets of old fashioned cars, followed by tractors and then a little Breton band came through to finish. It was very cute and a great way to spend my last day there.

Week 5/6

Another drive back down to Brives to stay back at the castle. This time is was just me, the mother, the daughter and the baby so the trip was easier. And we spent the first 5 days without boys running around everywhere! The house was filled with lots of other relatives though, we were about 20 at the table every meal time. Coincidently, the aunt was married to a Mauritian and so the cousins were all born and have grew up in Mauritius ( I am half Mauritian too ) which was nice, they were all very friendly and we got on well. Made me realise how little I know about my origins really. 

I got to see an Opera for the first time in my life. It was held, get this, at another château which belonged to the sister of the father of the Dad's family!! A stunning setting, with the Opera held in a little barn, it was really spectacular. They were an English group, and we even bumped into them at the market one day so I had a little chat with them. It was a special performance with a little commentary in between which helped with the understanding- much needed as it was all sung in German! 

I was given half a day off on my last Saturday to explore Brives a bit. We all went to the market together in the morning which I loved, and then I stayed in the town wandering around, sight seeing, browsing, chilling in the sunshine. The last week in Correze was very hot, mid 30's each day. But I was the only one wanting to be outside in it, ' Once I'm in England , I won't ever see the sun again!' I used to argue. 

The monday was a very important day. Apparently every year there is a village 'rally' for families to participate and the winner of each rally has to organise the next one. And this year it was my family who had all the organising to do! The morning started off with breakfast at the lake for 150 people, followed by a tour around the lake with stand every few meters with games/activities/challenges for each team to do. I had to stay at home with the baby for this part unfortunately but I heard it was a success. Then, all the families came to the château for a picnic in the gardens. It was lovely seeing the place so full of happy children running about. More games and challenges for the teams to do too. The theme was The Olympics so activities were based on that. In the afternoon I got to participate with a family, going to another village church and having a quiz on the area. And to finish off the afternoon, we had a guided tour in a grotto/cave type thing. It was very interesting, with  crystals and even bats! The evening consisted of a 'soirée' in another village hall which had a beautiful view overlooking the never-ending Correze valleys. Paella and tart for 150 people, music and dancing. I was on baby duty for the first part but once he was asleep I could join in a bit more ( don't worry- I kept checking up on him!) and the party went on until 2am. It was heart warming seeing so many families all together, dancing, having fun. A lovely evening and very well organised on the family's behalf! 

The last few days were not too hard, I enjoyed it. On the last night I made them Yorkshire Puddings ( first time in my life!) which went down well, and they spoilt me even more with some little gifts to say goodbye and thank you, and hand written messages from the kids- which bought tears to my eyes! I said I would be free next summer too and the mother said I am definitely welcome to come again! 

So, has this experience put me off having children?! Well, if all 3 month old babies are like Olivier I will happily have several, as long as they stay at that age! haha. As much as little ones are hard work, being with this family has made me realise that families are so important, and I may not have 4 children but I know I will have children one day. I have learned so much in 6 weeks, and even seen a newborn baby discover his thumb, hold himself on flat feet, and have his first swimming pool dip,which are moments so just can't create yourself.

Sorry this blog has been so long,just so much to tell. Photos to come- there are just so many! 

Ruth 

No comments:

Post a Comment