Tuesday 24 January 2012

'Bonjour, la bibliothèque HEC Paris; Lily Speaking'

So here I am trying to think of something witty and enticing as my title for this week, and not really suceeding. Then the phone rings at the desk. And I anwser, as standard, with the usual greeting, and then for some reason unbeknowns to me, I  tagged 'Lily Spekaing' on the end... Luckily she had the wrong number and the conversation was left there, but I literally went as purple as a plum with embarassment for my stupidity! So voilà, the title for this blog was born!

I must say I have been doing quite well in the 'silly errors' department of speaking French recently. I just find myself replying to questions like 'What time is Mass tonight?' with ' Twenty hours', and explaining to my parents that I saw someone 'by hasard'. Ah, I geuss this is the first step towards thinking and then  dreaming in French! I have just purchased myself a book called 'D!rty French' and its brilliant. Here's a taster : 'Tu t'es coiffé avec un balai?'. haha. 

So, whats new to blog about. Well as I mentioned, I went to Morocco a couple of weekends ago. It was a  very intense weekend with three French guys, who were banterous and spoke so much slang that I was totally lost half the time! A big challenge, but still a good experience all the same. We went Jetski-ing ( SO much fun!) Although I didn't know how to actually turn so I just ended up whizzing off into the horizon, quite carefree! I also took advantage of the Suk and stocked up on Louis Vuitton and Ralph Lauren goodies ( you know what I'm like) and was even brought and Ice Watch ( didn't realise they were so cool!). It was interesting going on holiday to a French speaking place, insetad of the usual Anglophone infested European resorts, good to have more French practise. And I did't get as harassed as much as I was warned. Perhaps being the only young girl with three guys around me, they got the idea, even if it was the wrong one! One guy said to me 'I though it was only men who were allowed several partners!'

Not much else has been happening in Jouy en Josas recently. Last week was fairly quiet and uneventful, for me anyway. I went to Paris to 'faire les soldes' which have just started, but found nothing much. It wasn't like British sales, I can tell you that! Much less busy and mean!  But I didn't really find anything!

There will be a new arrival of international students this week, which will be nice to have some new faces and partcipate in socials to get to know people. But it equally means the library will be filled with students who can't speak French, asking if  they can 'take this book on loan'. Seriously,  you did just get accepted into the worlds highest ranked Business School, right? While I am on this, I must be coming a true impatient frenchie, as it really annoys me when students come to the desk and just start talking at you in English in straight away! They don't even ask whether we speak English or not, it frustrates me that people don't even try. Why chose to come and live in France if you can't even have a stab at the language!!

Sorry, rant over.

This weekend I will be blessed with Southampton's FRENSOC as they are having a weekend in Paris, so I will be reunited with some language buddies, and I THINK, I am actually going to GO OUT in Paris on Friday night!!! Is this actually true?! Then on Saturday I will have my frist taste of French Theatre, seeing 'Les Belles Sœurs' in the local village. I'll let you know. Ella Dove, watch this space!

Really nothing much else to say. Sorry for the lack of fun stuff in this blog! 

A bientôt 

Il y a une mouche dans mon soupe.

No comments:

Post a Comment